Wednesday, June 8, 2011

We might be clones

There’s this website called Stuff White People Like (check it out if you want: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com), and being a white guy, I figured it would help me decide what I might like. In fact, it does list many of the things I actually like.






Here are some of them: #133 The World Cup, #23 Microbreweries, #123 Mad Men, #1 Coffee, #109The Onion, #96 New Balance Shoes, #86 Shorts, #2 Religions their parents don’t belong to, #83 Bad Memories of High School, #81 Graduate School, #35 The Daily Show/Colbert Report, #80 The Idea of Soccer, #134 The TED Conference, #50 Irony, #44 Public Radio, #40 Apple Products, #67 Standing Still at Concerts, #30 Wrigley Field, #28 Not having a TV, and #82 Hating Corporations.

And although I very well might write future blogs on each one of these topics, today’s blog is going to focus on #134 The TED Conference and #82 Hating Corporations.

Now, I like TED talks. Sadly, I might like TED talks for the reasons Stuff White People Like suggests.

One of the easiest ways to crea
te something that white people will like is to create something that will allow them to feel smart but doesn’t require a large amount of work, time, or effort. There is, however, a catch. Whatever it is that you create cannot be a shortcut. You see white people like the idea of getting smarter quickly, but they don’t like the idea of people thinking that they are lazy.

Due to the broad audience watching the talks, TED speakers generally take very complex ideas and boil them down into a simple engaging presentation. So when a white person finds out that you have a PhD and attempts to engage you in a conversation about String Theory, you should know that all of their understanding comes from a twenty-minute talk they listened to while running on a treadmill. You should also be aware that the average white person considers their knowledge on the subject to be on par or superior to yours.
 

But regardless of this, the other day I was running on my treadmill and watching Eli Pariser’s TED Talk called, Beware online "filter bubbles." In this discussion he informs us that search engines like Google are now programmed to filter search results in such a way that the results I get will likely not be the same results you get. The search engine calculates everything it can learn about who the searcher is and then selects the results that it concludes would be most in line with the type of person you are. Sounds scary right? Well I thought so, and for a few days after learning this I told people I ran into about the Big Brother scenario. They too were disturbed. 

But then I started to think about it. We give out identifying characteristics about ourselves constantly. We let the grocer keep track of everything we buy when we give them our value card to swipe. We let the hardware store know about our home improvement projects by offering them are ACE Rewards cards. In fact, I have so many rewards cards that I don’t even know where half of them are. But that’s not a problem, because the cashiers can easily look up my reward number and thus continue compiling data of my consumer tendencies. In exchange for all this data, I get some discounted gas or 10% off coupons in the mail. Seems like a deal. I mean now I even buy Lowe’s gift cards at the grocery to get the rewards points and then go to Lowe’s and use the gift card to get the stuff I was going to buy anyway. Oh yeah, I also buy everything with my credit card, so I can get the points, but also, so my credit card issuer can collect data of everything I ever purchase. 





So Big Brother has sucked us in; we are on the hamster wheel and happy to run. Well I guess I am. What’s wrong with Amazon knowing the books I like to buy and then suggesting others I might also like? What’s wrong with the local grocery store knowing what items I like and making sure they stock them and items that, based on previous purchases, I might also like? What’s wrong with a computer guessing what web sites I might like to visit? It seems pretty convenient to me.

Are we really that concerned about our almighty privacy? Nothing about us it all that private. When we can give up the idea of American individualism, we might see the benefits of corporations knowing stuff about us. I mean we all pretty much buy the same stuff anyway, we just don’t like to think that much about how the shirt I am wearing was mass produced and is hanging in ten thousand closets right now. I’m not really a unique consumer; I just like to think I am. I would even argue that most of what we are is what we have been taught to be. Do I really
naturally and innately like white, cotton, button shirts more than my neighbor? So maybe Stuff White People Like should add two entries: 

I like thinking that I am a private individual while still receiving all the benefits of not being one.

I like the idea of making fun of what I like by listing stuff white people like. 


No comments:

Post a Comment