Thursday, July 28, 2011

I can't get Frost out of my head



Even though I have written about Frost before, this poem was on my mind today and 
I decided to feature it on my blog. 






Moon Compass 
by Robert Frost 

I stole forth dimly in the dripping pause
Between two downpours to see what there was.
And a masked moon had spread down compass rays
To a cone mountain in the midnight haze,
As if the final estimate were hers;
And as it measured in her calipers,
The mountain stood exalted in its place.
So love will take between the hands a face... 


Cool words in this poem:

"dimly" (How does one move dimly?)

"dripping" (Alliterated with dimly, but also
             strangely modifying "pauses.")

"masked" (Is the moon a bandit or a superhero? 
           Why is it masked? But further 
           alliteration.)

"hers" (personifying the moon)

"stood exalted" (Even though it is the moon 
                 which is exalting, "the 
                 mountain stood" seems to 
                 suggest a proud child.)

love (Personification)

Frost is awesome. Vivid imagery and a wonderful wisdom statement at the end. Frost poetry often features a person who interacts with nature. I like the person in this poem. I like the way he sheepishly sneaks out between the storms to see what’s going on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment